DeAngelo Williams Honors Mother and Aunts in Season Opener and Komen Charlotte Race for the Cure

by LP Green, II

In preparation for Sunday’s season opener against Tampa Bay, Carolina Panthers star running back DeAngelo Williams dyed strands of his hair pink and painted his toenails pink.

Off the field, DeAngelo Williams designed the 2014 Williams Warriors team t-shirts to motivate fans to join the 18th Annual Susan G. Komen Charlotte Race for the Cure on Oct. 4. Fans who join the Williams Warriors team and raise at least $34 receive one of his custom shirts.

Since co-founding the Williams Warriors with his mother in 2009, Williams has been personally involved in the design and development of the team shirts. This year, for the first time, Williams chose pink as the shirt color, in memory of his mother Sandra Hill who passed away last spring, preceded by her four sisters, each taken by the devastating disease of breast cancer.

In 2013, an estimated 30,000 people rallied in uptown Charlotte for the Komen race. More than 800 teams raised $1.5 million, which helped Komen Charlotte fund 17 community health programs providing thousands of women and men with life-saving breast health screenings, education and treatment support throughout the year.

Online registration for 2014 is open through Oct. 3. Go to Komen Charlotte’s website at and register as an individual, join the Williams Warriors team (or another team of your choice), or donate to an individual or team.

In celebration of the Panthers first home game, Komen Charlotte is offering fans $10 off Race for the Cure registration on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 13 and 14 with promo code: PROMO_Panthers. Click here to register.

Presented by Novant Health and Mecklenburg Radiology Associates, Charlotte’s Race for the Cure features various races to meet individual interests and capability, as well as entertainment to satisfy the whole family.

The local community receives a maximum of 75% of net proceeds for breast cancer education, screenings diagnostic services, and treatment support. The remaining 25% supports the Komen National ResearchGrant Program, which funds research programs nationwide, including research at North Carolinauniversities.

On the main stage see the exclusive DJ Racecar, a custom racecar that transforms into a DJ booth complete with strobe and flashing colored lights, fog machines, and a powerful sound system. Meet NASCAR’s Taylor Stricklin and other celebrities including WBTV’s Molly Grantham, if her baby due on Oct. 3, can wait. Enjoy the Harris Teeter Kids’ FunZone and participate in the FunZone t-shirt design contest. Meet last year’s design winner, 10-year-old Delaney Whipple.

With a morning of exercise, food, entertainment, and fundraising, Race for the Cure also provides time for celebration of life, where runners and walkers of all ages gather to honor survivors winning the battle against breast cancer, and time to remember those who have been lost to this devastating disease.

0 comment

You may also like