Hip hop legend and actor LL Cool J never graduated high school, let alone college after being signed to Def Jam Records as a teenager in 1984.
However, the rapper born James Todd Smith received an honorary doctorate degree from Northeastern University last week.
The memorable moment was even more special considering he shared it with his daughter, Italia Smith, who also graduated.
“I’ve been called a few things, but never a doctor, that’s for sure,” said Cool J to CBS Boston. “For them to recognize my body of work and my contributions to the world of art is an amazing feeling.”
Adding to the sentiment of the moment, LL was given the opportunity to present his daughter her degree after she walked across the stage.
“It made me feel real proud because I know she put a lot of hard work in, a lot of dedication, a lot of commitment and a lot of hours,” LL said.
- Toyota’s James Colon Received Honorary Doctorate Degree From Grambling State University
- Nine-Time GRAMMY Winner Mary J. Blige Set to Perform on “A Very GRAMMY Christmas”
- Kanye West and APC Collaboration Is Officially Confirmed
- Harvard Business School Grad Landon Dickey On His Way To Becoming An Education Pioneer
- Lil Wayne and Birdman’s daughters debut as authors