The University’s partnership comes as a result of a collaborative RFP process where students, faculty and staff weighed in on proposals from America’s leading dining service providers. The winning finalist, SodexoMAGIC, is well known for its chairman, NBA legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson, and its service to universities and corporate clients that include Delta Airlines, the Walt Disney Company, the Federal Reserve Bank, and Toyota.
“This agreement is a great example of what is possible when Universities put our students first,” said Rick Gallot, President of Grambling State. “We are fortunate to collaborate with a partner, like SodexoMAGIC who understands the holistic needs of our students.”
The partnership will include a two-year overhaul of campus dining facilities and the launch of new program features that include:
- New menus overseen by Chef G. Garvin, nationally acclaimed TV host, author, and NAACP Image Award winner
- A New mobile app feature for ordering takeout and made-to-order items
- Allergen-friendly meal programs to support vegetarians and other specialized dietary needs.
The deal connects SodexoMAGIC and the University for a five-year partnership that will yield a $51 million return on investment and includes a five-year option to renew.
“We are proud to partner with the Grambling State community and excited about investing in the students,” said Earvin “Magic” Johnson, NBA hall of famer and chairman of SodexoMAGIC. “My team is committed to providing excellent service that the Grambling students, staff, and community deserve so they can continue leading efforts to change the world in sports, technology, and in business.”
New Dining Program Brings Facility Renovations for Grambling State
As a part of the five-year partnership, Grambling State’s campus will receive $6.7 million in facility updates and additions that include:
- A Steak & Shake food truck addition in early Fall 2019;
- Renovations to the student union food court (Tiger Express);
- The addition of national brands Chick-fil-a, Firehouse Subs, and Pizza Hut, to be completed November 2019;
- A full-scale renovation of McCall Dining Hall during the Summer of 2020; and
- The addition of a campus Starbucks planned for a 2021 opening.
“As we make history with our new library and academic programs, we know that our student experience has to match the same levels of excellence,” said Martin Lemelle, the University’s Chief Operating Officer. “We are excited about what this partnership means for students today and for the generations to come.”